dinsdag 29 september 2015

360 records from the year 2000: 360-271 round-up

First round-up aka my first positive post!
If I've put a hatchet in your favourite records these last few days, here’s your first chance to return the favour.
For all the records we've covered there are exactly four songs that I want to keep. It may not seem like much, but you see, we’re slowly getting to the good stuff.
There’s no point in getting together a longer list of semi-ok songs. This is it for me. I will stand up for these songs.

1. Sinead O’Connor: Jealous


What a song and what a performance. Her record may have been more miss than hit, but this track hits me with full force. Just that line ‘You say I treat you so badly, I can’t be forgiven’. If no one’s ever said that to me, it’s just cause they didn’t have a way with words.

2. Ravi Coltrane: Social drones


From my review:
“Opener ‘Social drones’ is a nice exception, containing both a beautiful and wonderfully arranged theme and some effective soloing, reflecting the players’ individual perspectives. I can recommend it.”
A memorable jazz composition and performance.

3. Armand Van Helden: Full moon (feat. Common)


Makes me snap like elastic. I don’t know what to say about this caveman-like crude one-dimensional track, except the groove hits me just right (yes, I know it’s borrowed).

4. Mazarin: Chasing the girl


Awkward indierock can yield its unexpected rewards, and here’s one of mine. I dig the solo starting about 1’30 into it the most, but the whole swarm (swirl?) of guitars is honey to my ears.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten