zaterdag 2 januari 2016

Elvis Presley in the '60s: 1961


1. I'm Comin' Home
2. Gently
3. In Your Arms
4. Give Me The Right
5. I Feel So Bad
6. It's A Sin
7. I Want You With Me
8. There's Always Me
9. Starting Today
10. Sentimental Me
11. Judy
12. Put The Blame On Me

The results of Elvis's March 12-13 session made up 1961 album 'Something for everybody', though the title of one of the songs 'Sentimental me' might've done just as well (the track selection for the album could've been better too, IMO). Guralnick, in the box set's liner notes reviews the session as 'professional', something of a let down. It's true there are stretches where everyone is straining just a little too hard for an excitement that isn't there.

But it's wormed its way into my affection. My favorite rocker of the evening is the last song recorded, 'Put the blame on me' - they finally got loose! They finally got a ridiculous groove. 'I feel so bad''s got a great circular riff. 'I want you with me' sneaks up on you - better than the 'return to Jailhouse Rock' arrangement should warrant.



The heart of the session are the ballads - there are too many of them, but some have an almost spectral reverence ('Gently', heartmelting 'It's a sin'), or pulse with a resignation that borders on tragic ('There's always me', 'Starting today'), foreshadowing the dramatic C&W tearjerkers of the '70s.


Not at his best, but a pleasure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Kiss Me Quick
2. That's Someone You Never Forget
3. I'm Yours
4. His Latest Flame
5. Little Sister

6. For The Millionth And The Last Time
7. Good Luck Charm
8. Anything That's Part Of You
9. I Met Her Today
10. Night Rider

His next two, non-soundtrack sessions, June 25-26 and October 15-16, do make an impact. The first 5-song session is ridiculously great. 'Kiss me quick' may be assembly line pop hit material, it nevertheless works like a machine. The balalaika guitar, the piano tingles, the drum accents, the sudden bursts of backing vocals - everything is a hook. 'That's someone you'll never forget' - I can believe he's talking to the spirits on this one, he sounds haunted (great celeste (?) on the bridge too). '(Marie's the name) His latest flame' is perfect - you know it too. But 'Little sister' (it-s b-side on release) sticks in my mind the most - that's pretty tough for 1961, the overdriven swamp guitar, the big bass sound, the general wildness - we're used to that now, but 1961! McCartney had a long battle ahead to get his bass turned up half this far.



The october session (also 5 songs) focusses on ballads, though it still has the unhinged 'Night rider' - I love it. Great ballads too - 'Good luck charm', 'Anything that's part of you', 'I met her today' - syrupy and sweet and I won't hear a word against them.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


There was also 'Blue Hawaii - am I wrong in skipping it? At least the public got a great single out of it this time, 'Can't help falling in love' (his one essential '60s soundtrack recording, though the song is better than the arrangement), but they also got 'Rock-a-hula-baby' (moronic Hawaiian pop) and the title song (a forgettable Hawaiian hulahoop ballad).

The title song for 'Flaming star' was a stupid cowboy ballad about flaming star.

The title song for 'Follow that dream' has something catchy, but even at a minute and a half outstays its welcome plenty.

1961 - Elvis was still on top of it, though he was getting a little careless.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten