dinsdag 5 januari 2016

Elvis Presley in the '60s: 1968


The exploitation of Elvis reaches a sad low with the sale of 'sings Flaming Star and others' LP exclusively through Singer shops. It's the sort of commercial move that Prince tried his best to emulate in the '00s. Terrible.


Also 'Elvis' Golden records Vol 4' and 'Speedway'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



With all that came before, you probably expect me to go wild about the Comeback Special.
I've never seen the thing - maybe that accounts for it, but I doubt it.

I used to own the cd version of the original record, but it's edited like shit, so I upgraded to 2CD 'Memories' (disc one: the routines, disc two: 6 PM sit down show) and 'Tiger man' (8 PM sit down show - same jokes).

- none of these convinced me, and listening again it struck me why. It's another movie soundtrack, right? This time it's a TV movie about a rock'n'roll show, but he's still acting. I can hear exactly where the karate routines kick in. The irony of it is that Elvis put on a Vegas show on the Rock'n'Roll Special. The following year he'd go to Vegas and play a real rock'n'roll show. Overblown vaudeville. Elvis sings way too forcefully - he's nervous. Everything is pitched at feverish intensity. Without the premise that Elvis had lost his way and needed to come home - it loses most of its impact. And Elvis was doing fine in my estimation.

There's a moment in the long medley they play part of 'It hurts me' - it's that amazing moment where he sings 'he never loved you - he never will...' (that I talked about in 1964) - this time...nothing...well, not much.

I do love the two new ballads 'Memories' and 'If I can dream'. They really hit hard. The show as a whole, well, not bad.


Of course, there's also the Sit Down shows. Nope, sorry. 6 PM is way too much horsing around. My problem with Elvis was never that he remembered all the lyrics, sang each verse only once, kept from laughing during a song, or had guitar players play in tune. Yeah, it's a candid view - too candid for me. And Charlie Hodges (I think it's him that contantly interrupts) should learn to shut up.

8 PM is better, a little less forced. But once again, there's little sense forcing someone home who's in a fine place where he is.
Sorry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------



And songs from 'Charro' - the title track's a quite nice spy movie ballad, suspenseful but not quite good enough.

And songs from the improbably titled 'The trouble with girls (and how to get into it)', like 'Clean up your own backyard' - a pale imitation of his new non-soundtrack sound despite being written by the 'Memories' team.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten