zondag 18 oktober 2015

Hey Hey we're listening to the Monkees... part 5



Side 1
1."You Told Me" (2:22) (Michael Nesmith)
2."I'll Spend My Life With You" (2:23) (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)
3."Forget That Girl" (2:21) (Douglas Farthing-Hatlelid)
4."Band 6" (0:38) (Micky Dolenz/Davy Jones/Michael Nesmith/Peter Tork)
5."You Just May Be the One" (2:00) (Michael Nesmith)
6."Shades of Gray" (3:20) (Barry Mann/Cynthia Weil)
7."I Can't Get Her Off Of My Mind" (2:23) (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)

I'm into it now. I can't rightly say this side is better than side one of 'More of...', but it has more personality. I really like the bandsound, stripped down but with a lot of detail. The vocals are getting even better than before. And these guys can play - especially the bassplayer.

Highlights: 'You told me' the verse of which reminds me of a Beatles song which I'm sure someone can tell me the name of. 'I'll spend my life with you' - I loved it as a bonus track on 'More of...', this version is better stil, especially the keyboard part, which is so simple and great. 'Shades of gray', great ballad, and again the arrangement is so amazing, they knew what they were doing. The slide throughout is played, maybe not technically dazzling, but with so much ear for the song, like it's another part of the backing vocals sometimes. The easy stroll of 'I can't get her off my mind', which just floats on the drumtrack.

In comparison with 'More of...' there are a little less highlights. It's just a really satisfying whole, the sound, the songs, the singing, the sequencing. And still fun, not as peppy and zany as on the first album, more the kind of fun that will remain convincing on repeat listens, I hope/think.

I'm still put in mind of the Lovin' Spoonful a lot of the time, and that's one of my favorite bands from that time, so that's certainly not a bad thing.

Hopefully they'll be able to keep it up on side 2 this time.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten