dinsdag 20 oktober 2015

Hey Hey we're listening to the Monkees... part 7


Side 1
1."Salesman" (Craig Smith)
2."She Hangs Out" (Jeff Barry)
3."The Door into Summer" (Chip Douglas, Bill Martin)
4."Love Is Only Sleeping" (Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil)
5."Cuddly Toy" (Harry Nilsson)
6."Words" (Tommy Boyce, Bobby Hart)

This is a surprise, turns out this side is a tough nut to crack.
I was waiting for that 'great' album, but you've got to be careful what you wish for. There's a definite shift here, I hear it, they're serious about making a great album and it shows. No more interludes and zany humor, no embarrasing moments, all these songs were chosen with care obviously, crafted to near perfection. It's their songwriter album.

And yet, I'm missing something that I haven't been able to locate over the several times I've listened. That special charming unique thing they have, the fun. Maybe it's just more subtle (there are bits, the 'sssssalesmen' backings for instance) and I'll find it eventually, I don't know. Right now, the two songs I'm really into are 'Love is only sleeping' and 'Words' - those are terrific. The first three songs are all good, there's nothing wrong with them, but they don't seem to excite me ('She hangs out' comes closest.)

'Cuddly toy': Not a knock on Nilsson who wrote/released many fine songs, but those first couple albums of his are problematic. Musically just too precious, lyrically - yes, I get it, there's a double meaning, and so on, but what's the point? Newman was better at writing a mean song like this. I don't want to tear this song down but I have problems with it.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten