dinsdag 10 november 2015

360 records from 2000: 72. Mary Coughlan: sings Billie Holiday

72. Mary Coughlan: sings Billie Holiday


Country: Ireland
Artist: Female solo artist
Career: recording since 1985
Language: English
Genre: Jazz


And some people say Billie Holiday elevated disposable songs with her singing. Not going by these 21 examples. Let’s be honest, these are some amazing songs, wonderful words and melodies, cutting straight to the heart of it. I can’t say much about this: it’s a concert recording, which sets exactly the right mood – a studio record would’ve been too polished. The audience is with it the entire night, as I would have been. The singer is fine, she doesn’t have an amazing voice, but she feels the songs. Enough to let them go their way and not stand in their way, there’s hardly a melisma or vocal improvisation in sight. I like that. Plus, she’s got a slight lisp which is quite charming. But the real star is the band, and especially the pianist. I can hardly believe there’s someone out there still who’s got that touch.

Course, this is the easy listening, ‘reviving the oldies’ circuit of the ‘00s. I know we’re not supposed to condone that stuff, so hey, ignore me, but I’m right.

Not from the record, but the closest I could find:


At its best: They can’t take that away from me, God bless the child, I cover the waterfront, Good morning heartache, Porgy, Love for sale, You’ll be there, For all we know, I’ll be seeing you

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten