vrijdag 6 november 2015

360 records from 2000: 85. Chappaquiddick skyline - Chappaquiddick skyline

85. Chappaquiddick skyline: Chappaquiddick skyline


Country: US
Artist: Male solo artist
Career: recording since 1995
Language: English
Genre: Americana /Soft-rock


This is one sad record. No kidding, the opening line is ‘I hate my life’ and that’s the chorus of the first song. At first it made me grimace, but it’s such a strong record that I had to accept it as part of the deal. I can only guess at the levels of desperation it must take to cover a New Order song, ‘Leave me alone’, but hey, it’s an amazing track. 

Chappaquiddick skyline is just one alias of Joe Pernice. I remember him getting name checked around the turn of the century along with Josh Rouse and some other Americana songwriters who decided what they really liked was American ‘70s soft-rock and pop. It’s the first time I hear one of his records though, and in the meantime I’ve come to realize myself that what I really like is 70s soft-rock. Chappaq. Skyline ends up smack in the middle of the Americana / soft-rock divide, and it suits me fine.


At its best: Solitary Swedish houses, Hundred dollar pocket, Nobody’s watching, Leave me alone, Kidney shaped pool

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten