dinsdag 3 november 2015

360 records from 2000: 96. Irma Thomas - My heart's in Memphis

96. Irma Thomas: My heart’s in Memphis


Country: US
Artist: Female solo artist
Career: recording since 1960
Language: English
Genre: Soul


Irma Thomas singing a program of Dan Penn songs. I thought this would be a great one – the starting point of the ‘00s resurgence of classic soul artists. It’s good but not great. See, they’re new Dan Penn songs (mostly) and the production is kinda smooth and modern. Some wonderful tracks, but overall – it could’ve been much more.

Edit: Needless to say, I’ve changed my mind. Irma knows about life, and she’s telling us about it. Yeah, it’s kinda smooth at the beginning (songs 1, 2 & 4 to be exact), but once the ballads start there’s no turning back.


At its best: Not enough time to change, Blue in the heart, Irma’s song (though it makes me think of ‘Elmo’s song’), Life at the end of the road, Woman left lonely

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten