donderdag 31 december 2015

360 records from 2000: 20. Mudhoney: March to fuzz (1988-98)



Country: US
Artist: Band
Career: recording since 1988
Language: English
Genre: Heavy rock



1988 was a little before my time, but I do wonder, when these guy appeared they must’ve blown away every other band in the country. Sure, those SST bands rocked, but none of them (not Husker Du, not the Minutemen, not Sonic Youth, not Meat Puppets) rocked like this. The keyword is sick, and from their monolithic early work (which stills sounds dauntingly primitive) to their surprisingly diverse and effective later work (I should check that stuff out!), it’s all here. Well, except for that one song from ‘Five dollar Bob’s mock cooter stew’ – what the hell is that all about?

You might say, how could any band from 2000 compete with 13 years of Mudhoney sickness? And – you’d be right. I’ve chosen some highlights but it’s futile. This is one uppercut after another, so precise and unerring in their dumb thrills – such conceptual concentration. I’d almost think there’s more sophistication there than perception betrays, except they’re so good at it, it can’t be, or is that part of the sophistication? Who knows? And when you can cue up ‘Into your shtik’, with its super swinging riff and demented second half which goes right off the rails, who cares? Not I.




At its best: Suck you dry, I have to laugh, Who you driving now?, Judgement rage retribution and thyme, Touch me I’m sick, Blinding sun, Into your shtik, Beneath the valley of the underdog

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten