maandag 28 december 2015

A long hard look at Brazil ... part 12


Ah, Marcos Valle... I was going to write a full feature just on him, until I convinced myself to do this Brazilian cross section instead. So I'll restrict myself to the absolute peak (to me). Previsao Do Tempo (also 1972, busy year in Brazil). But he was well on the way to this supremely funky, relaxed, masterful record with the preceding Garra and Vento Sul. Garra was the pop masterpiece – if it didn't sprout 7 hit singles it surely deserved to. Vento Sul's the one where he went all weird, teaming up with an obscure progressive backing band (keep in mind Brazilian progressive is a tiny bit more groovy than other varieties) – to great effect. 


By Previsao Do Tempo I imagine Marcos and his band endlessly leisuring by the pool, all bronze tan, big sunglasses, maybe some badminton. As the sun sets, they hit an easy confident groove and let this stuff happen. That kinda decadent scene, they own the world already, what's to prove?, just indulge.


How undeniable is 'Mentira'? Listen to the breakdown and extended fade out, up there with prime Stevie Wonder.

The sound of the record is percussion, deep bass, electric piao, lots of Moog (I think). Here's another one:


And alright, a third one, just cause after Lô Borges this is surely my second favorite Brazilian record:


I want to tell you cause I mean well: get it in your life.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten