woensdag 30 december 2015

360 records from 2000: 47. Sonic Youth: NYC ghosts and flowers


Country: US
Artist: Band
Career: recording since 1982
Language: English
Genre: Rock

SY’s most difficult record? It’s definitely abstract for a pop-album. Then again, it’s very melodic for an abstract album. It took me a couple of years to get into it. To be honest, I had cast it aside for a couple of years, before listening to the records from 2000. But when I got around to playing it again, I enjoyed it a lot, and I kept it enjoying every spin since. I even came to look forward to it. And now I’ve come to a point where I pretty much like it without reservation. For sure, it’s a side-road in SY’s discography, but I love it. SY with the rocking side almost completely shut out, and the meandering jam pulled to the fore. Good thing I love meandering jams.


At its best: Free city rhymes, Nevermind (What was it anyway), Renegade princess

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten