woensdag 30 december 2015

360 records from 2000: 39. J Mascis: More light


Country: US
Artist: Male solo artist
Career: recording since 1985, 2nd solo album
Language: English
Genre: indierock


The JJ Cale of noise guitar, J. Mascis keeps making the same record, but more of them than you expect are just front to back filled with undeniable quality – if you’re into that noise/weedy tune package.

I’ve never been into Dinosaur Jr in a ‘waiting outside the record store on release day’ sort of way. They were always there in the background when I was high on indierock. That was the mid-90s, a little later than their perceived peak, but I still like all that ‘Green mind’ / ‘Feel the pain’ stuff better than the Lou Barlow years. Still, in the late ‘90s and early 00s (before the reformation of Dinosaur jr), no one was interested in J Mascis. I can’t recall reading any reviews of this record at the time – I didn’t find much now. We missed out. I’m really happy to find this record I would otherwise have missed. It’s the same, but it’s high on melodies, some great piano and mellotron arrangements, and some crunching guitar – J Mascis produced by Kevin Shields actually. They’ve got some new twists on the formula (including one at the end of the record, the title track, that blows my head off).

For sheer fun, great songs and quality control, it’s up there with my Mascis favorites.



At its best: Sameday, Waistin, Back before you go, Ammaring

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten