dinsdag 29 december 2015

360 records from 2000: 57. U2: All that you can’t leave behind

57. U2: All that you can’t leave behind


Country: Ireland
Artist: Band
Career: recording since 1979
Language: English
Genre: Rock


I’ve heard many music fans talk of the moment with a sense of shame and resignation, yet also something of an inevitable acceptance – that moment when they had to admit to themselves they liked, no really liked, a U2 album. And here’s mine. I was all set to detest this, songs dedicated to Aung San Suu Kyi, a song called ‘Peace on Earth’ and another ‘New York’. Hell…

I can’t. I played it and sort of liked the singles. I played it again and liked a couple of the album tracks. I played it again and I’m ready for Peace on Earth! Finally, I even liked the one dedicated to Aung San (except for the spoken intro – that’s just terrible)! I just think they’re really great songs. I sing along and everything, it makes me want to shake my fist in the air.

Terrible, I know… Fortunately, the Salman Rushdie-assisted bonus track ‘The ground beneath her feet’ is everything bad about U2 condensed to 4 excruciating minutes. Jerks.



At it's best: Stuck in a moment you can’t get out of, Kite, Wild honey

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten