woensdag 30 december 2015

360 records from 2000: 45. Sigur ros: Agaetis byrjun


Country: Iceland
Artist: Band
Career: recording since 1997, 2nd album
Language: Unknown
Genre: Post-rock


I don’t like talking about me. Hell, philosophically I’m not even sure I exists. But this record gives me no choice.

I used to think Sigur Ros was the enemy. Now they are my friend. They’ve got melodies so majestic that they sweep you up and they won’t set you down for minutes at a time. I’ve been working really hard these last five years. Not just job, but life, you know. I’ve been working for my family. But anguish has crept into my home (when your heart is caught in a vice). Maybe it’s been here all the time, but it’s gaining on us. It’s not pointed at me, but it lives with us. And these last few months, due to circumstances, it’s dawning on me that all my work isn’t winning against the anguish. In fact, it hardly seems to matter. Well, anyway, when I play this, I feel it knows and all is not lost. You know what, they’re putting it on the line. It may seem ridiculous, what they’re doing, but that’s part of laying it on the line. I don’t think it’s ridiculous anymore.

Hey, you think anyone is going to write all this stuff without having some issues to get distracted from? I promise, back to lame-o wisecracks for the next review…



At its best: Sven g-englar, Staralfur, Vidar vel til loftarasa, Olsen Olsen

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten