maandag 28 december 2015

A long hard look at Brazil ... part 13


I haven't said anything about bossa nova yet, while it's crucial to Brazilian music. But I'm no expert. I guess it's a little before my timeframe. This one though is right in there, and I want to mention it especially. Antonio Carlos Jobim, who is pretty much the godfather, writes, arranges and occasionaly duets on a beautiful album with Elis Regina. I don't know all of Elis' records, but it seems like she's an amazing singer who never quite got the context right. Until this one.




Everyone loves 'Aguas de março'. It's the opening duet and it can't help but be the highlight. It would be most anywhere. The rest of the album is not just added padding though. It's mostly very still and sad. The songs are not the overfamiliar canon of Jobim classics any visiting jazz musician or Sinatra gets offered (well, 'Corcovado' and 'Triste' are here, but in deserving versions). You feel Jobim is happy enough to flex his muscles on a singer and audience who don't just want the tourist route. It's deep, adult stuff.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten