donderdag 31 december 2015

360 records from 2000: 29. Labradford: Fixed: context


Country: US
Artist: Trio
Career: recording since 1994
Language: Instrumental
Genre: Ambient / Post-rock



Maybe it’s a frequency thing. Labraford get into the top 100 on the strength of 20 minute opener ‘Twenty’, which fills half of this record. It fits neatly into the post-rock template – the 90s template that is, there’s no histrionic louder section here like Explosions in the sky or Mogwai would work up to. In its calm and focused, restrained instrumental noodling it puts me in mind of ‘DJed’ from Tortoise’s ‘Millions now living…’ – still my high point of the genre. In all honesty, not much happens in 20 minutes, but maybe it’s the chords, maybe it’s the amp settings. I love immersing myself in it. There’s literally not much to it, but I never tire of it. It’s mood music, and it always picks me up and leaves me refreshed at the end. It must be pitched exactly at the frequencies that work for me. I have no other explanation than that the sound vibrations feel physically good. In fact, after ‘Millions…’ I can’t name another post-rock album I enjoy this much. Side two is shorter snippets of the same – sounds unremarkable, but at that point I’m not in the mood for anything else. So, frequency scientists, it is.

At its best: Twenty

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten