dinsdag 29 december 2015

360 records from 2000: 55. Milton Nascimento: Nos bailes da vida

55. Milton Nascimento: Nos bailes da vida 


Country: Brazil
Artist: Male solo artist
Career: recording since 1967
Language: Portuguese
Genre: Musica Populeira Brasileira

The live setting is a bit of a distraction – it sounds like a studio album with some applause tacked on. I suppose it’s just Nascimento’s professionalism, never a sonic detail out of place. But the quality is high. I’m surprised at how well preserved Brazil’s ‘60s and ‘70s leading artists sound in 2000. I suppose they had a smooth ride. They didn’t have to suffer through the endless drugs, riches and groupies that comparable Western artists in their disadvantaged industries had to endure.

Anyway, I’m not familiar with the background of these songs. The only one known to me is set closer ‘Paisagem da janela’ (one of my favorite songs of all time in its original ‘Clube da Esquina’ guise), but that’s the only song that lets the record down – too fast, careless with the melody (it is a difficult song to get right, I suppose). The rest sets a high standard. It’s a throwback, of course, to MPB’s 70s blueprint. Lucky for me that stuff is gold to my ears.

Can’t find any of these versions on YouTube, but some Milton live:


At its best: Mania de voce, Maria Maria, Nascente, Beatriz

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten