woensdag 30 december 2015

360 records from 2000: 50. Blur: Best of Blur


Country: UK
Artist: Band
Career: recording since 1990
Language: English
Genre: Pop

Since we all know Blur, I’ll make some random observations:

Twice I attempted to see Blur at summer festivals during the ‘90s – twice they cancelled at the last minute. The first time it was so last minute, there was no replacement act, we just sat there. The second time they were replaced by Jon Spencer. Thanks, Blur – I never bought one of their records.

I know practically all these songs – ain’t that something in this day and age? I know them very well indeed. Their singles truly reached that kind of pop omnipresence that they strove for. And it’s great to hear them again.

I like how much longer some of these singles go on, and how trippy they get at the end. They don’t let you hear that stuff on the radio.

If the mere discovery of Pavement caused them to decamp to Iceland and have bitter interband arguments about difficult music, god help them when they discover some real ‘difficult’ music. I guess that point was proven when they very slowly imploded after the mindbreaking ‘Music is my radar’ single. Nothing here sounds anything like Pavement.

The backbone of these hits, for me, comes from ‘The great escape’ and ‘13’. Add to that ‘Girls and boys’, ‘To the end’ and ‘Music is my radar’ – and that’s how I like to remember them.

My five favorites:
1. Tender – nobody dared to make a single like this in the ‘90s. Genuinely moving, and the extreme length is well earned.
2. Charmless man / Country house – basically the same song. It reminds me very much of the Idle Race’s ‘Impostors of life magazine’ – there’s just too much melody, almost.
3. Music is my radar – freakout, baby. Well done, guys. I didn’t know that one.
4. Girls and boys – a bassline from Bowie’s ‘Scary monsters…’, but with added fun.
5. The universal – epic.

Sometimes they get a little annoying like little chipmunks (‘There’s no other way’ – limp, ‘Parklife’ – too British, ‘She’s so high’ – pfff, ‘On your own’ – shit), but I can stand it. This compilation may be all I need from them, but it manages a neat trick, to make me believe they’ve got the golden gift of melody.



At its best: The universal, Tender, Girls and boys, Charmless man, Country house, This is a low, Music is my radar

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten